History

The Patna Medical College is one of the oldest training centers of physicians and surgeons, in eastern India, next only to the Calcutta Medical College . If taken in the strict sense of the length of  its life it has completed its 93 years on 25th February 2019 A. D. Theoretically its history can be counted from 23rd  June 1874, when its predecessor institution the  Patna School of Medicine was opened with the intention of imparting L. M. P. level medical training to the junior surgeons of the army establishments , those employed in civil dispensaries in Bihar eastern  U. P. and other  neighbouring areas as well as private students of the region

On the date of its opening it had 20 students with five teachers including its Principal Dr. D. B. smith, the then Civil Surgeon of Patna . By the end of the year the number of students went up to 54 including the admissions from the general population and the rest being army personnel and government servants. By a resolution of 31st August 1874 the Lt. Governor of Bengal  at that time Sir Richard Temple. By the middle of 1875 said medical school was named as Temple School of Medicine after the school was shifted from its old site the Bankipore Dispensary (Where now stands the B. N. College hostels ) to an area of great historical importance known as Muradbagh and  accommodated  in the Murad kothi which belonged to shah Murad Safawi  whose forefather Mirza Rustam Safawi was the Governor of Bihar in the 16th century in the reign of emperor Jahangir.

                

The Temple School of Medicine was no doubt  Govt. medical institution but the philanthrophists  and social workers of the time also contributed liberally towards its smooth functioning. They created a free holding or free studentship The deserving poor students wee not to pay the fee but the college fee was reimbursed from the free holdship fund. A part of this type of fund was also used in minor repair woks of the School  its laboratories, library  etc. but the major part of its was  kept reserved from year to year so as to raise a bigger sum for a much larger project in future . The modern terminologies maintained and financed the institution but the public too contributed most liberally setting up an example of co-operation. Coordination and combined efforts of government and the public for the advancement of medical education

               

With the passage of time it was soon felt that the certificate holder physicians were not in position to meet the challenges of the time the recurrence of malaria, typhoid, abdominal disorders, high prenatal and maternal  mortality rate with frequent outbreak of plague & cholera forced the people and the government to think seriously about a medical training of higher  standard for the people of Bihar region. Unfortunately the political and revolutionary movement of the time that times forced the government and the people to go on shelving the plan for many years. With the separation of Bihar and Orissa from Bengal on 1st April 1912 the need,for having a medical college of its own became more acute.This needed a well drawn plan and huge fund both being time taking. A temporary solution was found by sending 18 students selected by Government of Bihar to Calcutta Medical College for degree course and medical training. The outbreak of world War ( 1914-1919) once again affected the prospects of a fully equipped medical college at Patna.  In order to raise sufficient fund Prince of Wales Medical Fund was created in which people started contributing most liberally.

The Bihar Legislature ( then with a single house with the name of Bihar Legislative Council) contributed its own mite by passing a resolution asking the government to urgently establish a medical college at Patna, under the Act of 1919 Bihar came to have Babu Ganesh Dutt Singh as a Ministers of Local Self Government (With a medical Health Department as one of its branches) who took a keen interest in the scheme . The then Vice Chancellor of Patna University Sir Syed Sultan Ahmad also utilized his good office with the British administrators  of that time. Maharaja Darbhanga initially contributed Rs. 5 Lakhs for the proposed medical college back in 1920 and become the single highest contributor . When the Prince of Walse visited Patna in 1925 he laid the foundation stone of the proposed medical college on 25th Feb. 1921. The medical college was formally opened on 25th July 1925 by Sir Henry wheeler Governor of Bihar with just 30 students with Dr. H. R. Dutton I. M. S.  as its first Principal

Best view in 800x600 browser